Thursday, August 4, 2011

Pottermore: Thoughts, Fears, & Insanity

The apple I'm eating right now has been in my fridge for more than a week, & it's still crisp. But that is not the point... Wait, what's the point again? Oh, yeah... the leading cause of stress among the Harry Potter community!

Early registration for Pottermore has been going on this week. Millions of fans have been trying relentlessly to gain access and find the magic quill, which will open to them the gates of heaven* for those of us who love the boy wizard. They want to be the first to enter J. K. Rowling's site that is a gift to her fans. All new information. Backstories. A real sorting quiz that doesn't just ask you your favorite color & which house you want to be in. I'm getting nervous just thinking about it!

 Here's a break down of my reaction to the first 5 days of registration:
Day 1: I didn't even know about the challenge... I feel shame...
Day 2: I woke up at 4 in the morning** because I sure as Hell was not going to miss the most amazing opportunity of my life thus far, again.***
Day 3: Empathetic anxiety for those who hadn't registered yet.
Day 4: Near neurotic texts sent to my friend Kaycie who wasn't anywhere near a computer so she couldn't register even though I was metaphorically jumping and screaming telling her to get to the quill cause IT WAS GONNA CLOSE!!!!!!
Day 5: Complete & utter panic trying to set up three accounts (one for Kaycie, one for my dad & another for my sister) in a time span of about an hour, while trying to eat, because I was on my lunch break when the clue went up. Luckily, I was at my computer and not trying to use my phone****.

While this has all been very stressful, it could have been a lot worse had I not had a plan. I have three different alerts that are sent from twitter to my phone telling me when the clue is up. I have a link on my desktop that goes to the Pottermore homepage. A Sticky Note specifically placed in the middle of my screen that has the "quill.pottermore.com/" base on it so that all I have to do is type in the clue and click. I have this down to a science.

I do all of this because I love this book series more than anything. It's what motivated me to start my YouTube channel & this blog. It's also the reason I don't shy away from expressing my love of books when I meet new people. This book series is so much more than a book series to so many people. It means that I'm not alone in my love of books... It means that somewhere someone understands why stories, and the people who tell, them matter.
Well... this is a bit more serious than I planned.

Have I mentioned how nervous I am about which house I'm sorted into... In the name of all that is holy Jo put me in Ravenclaw!!! If not I'll take Slytherin, cause I'm so not a Gryffindor. Basically, I can abide anything but Hufflepuff. That's just where she put the leftovers, & I refuse to be one of them!

Check out my Twitter (@glowinthedark7) & my YouTube channel (SheGlowsInTheDark)!
See you tomorrow!


*Yes. It's a religious experience. Hey, why are you running away?! Come Back!
**IN THE MORNING!!!
***Not hyperbole... I cry a lot...*****
****A mental break down would have ensued. I'm sure of it.
*****That is a reference to a movie. Guess which one!

P.S. Tomorrow the madness begins again, because I have a request from my friend, Meagan, to set up an account for her. Oh, my poor nerves...

No comments:

Post a Comment