Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Reality TV: The End of Imagination?

Last year my roommate was obsessed with the Bachelor. I can not stress how much I loathe this show. If it were up to me the creators & producers on that show would have their own personal ring of hell for putting the self respecting public through the crap they did not only on a weekly basis on TV, but tabloids were effected likewise. There was, & is, no escape. Shoot me in the face! I digress...

I'm not a fan of reality TV. People making drama for the sake of making drama, with no foreseeable plot line make me roll my eyes into the back of my head & scream like a crazed banshee... or something. It's one of the lowest forms of entertainment only slightly higher up than the gladiator games we as Americans so fondly call "football". I know there are a lot of shows out there that have solid stories & creative writing teams who make magic on the small screen (I watch them!), but it seems like more & more "reality" shows keep popping up.

What does this say about the way our culture & consequently the world views entertainment? Are we going to become a society that tries even harder not to think about issues than we are now? I am afraid for the imaginations of generations to come. We already don't think reading is enjoyable, because we have to be engaged & create our own scenes, what happens when all of the TV shows that make us think are gone? How will we instill individuality & imagination in our children without showing them a product of society that givens them inspiration?

My mind & my imagination are my most valued possessions. With them I can do anything. When our entertainment becomes something that no longer sharpens our minds, but dulls them, it's time to think outside the box & create something that will bring out imagination in a whole new way. Hopefully, by the time the world needs such a revival I will be gone, but I pray for those who may have to live through such dark times, if we can not turn the problem around before it gets too out of hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment